December 26, or Boxing Day, is a Christmas Custom found in the United Kingdom, Canada, and many other Commonwealth nations. It is Canada’s equivalent to the USA and their Black Friday.
What do Canadians do on Boxing Day? We shop, shop and shop some more.
Since this is an important holiday where I live, here are 7 Important Facts that happened on December 26 (Boxing Day) in the past.
1. 1942 – 1st Spanish Settlement in New World founded, by Columbus
2. 1872 – 4th largest snowfall in New York City history (18 inches)
3. 1908 – Jack Johnson TKO’s Tommy Burns in 14 rounds for the heavyweight boxing title
4. 1919 – Yankees and Red Sox reach agreement on the transfer of Babe Ruth
5. 1932 – Earthquake kills 70,000 in Kansu China
6. 1946 – Flamingo Hotel in Las Vegas opens (the start of an era)
7. 1991 – Jack Ruby’s gun sells for $220,000 in an auction
These are only 7 of many events that happened on Boxing Day in history – but you get the idea.