On 19 June 2011, Rory McIlroy won his first major, the U.S. Open Championship. He finished with a record score of 16-under-par on his way to an eight-shot victory and is the youngest winner since Bobby Jones in 1923.
Rory is only 22 years old
Rory is the most exciting young prospect in golf today. He has taken the golf world by storm and his stock is climbing rapidly. Good news considering the whole TIGER circus.
Our list today is simple.
Here are 7 facts about Rory McIlroy.
1. McIlroy was born in Holywood, County Down, on May 4, 1989. Holywood is port town in Northern Ireland and is made up of 12,000 people.
2. Rory’s dad (Gerry McIlroy) began teaching him the game of golf at the age of 18 months. When most kids are learning to talk, Rory was taking private golf lessons. By the time he was 2 years old, he could drive the ball 40 yards.
3. In the fall of 2004, McIlroy signed a letter of intent to play collegiate golf at East Tennessee State University. He decided to forgo the golf scholarship play amateur golf in Europe
4. McIlroy turned professional on September 19, 2007. It was the day before the British Masters. At the British Masters, McIlroy shot 290 (+2), which put him in a tie for 42nd place.
5. What is in his Golf Bag?
- Driver: Titleist 910 D2, Shaft: Rombax 7V05 Loft: 8.5
- Fairway Woods: Titleist 909 F2 13.5°, 906 F2 18°
- Irons: Titleist 710 MB Forged, 3–9
- Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled Wedges 46, 54, 60
- Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback (Prototype) for Titleist
- Ball: Titleist Pro V1x
6. Do you own an iPhone? Rory has his own app. You can down load it here.
7. McIlroy is a huge football (soccer to us North Americans) fan. His favorite team? Manchester United of course.
You can learn more about Rory McIlroy at his official website.