Every year I take my family to the local Professional Rodeo. This past weekend we packed a lunch took our annual pilgrimage to the Rodeo Grounds to watch some crazy cowboys demonstrate skills I can never hope to duplicate.
We got to see cowboys battle horses in the Saddle Bronc and Bareback events. There was Steer Wrestling, Calf Roping and a crazy Bull Riding event. The ladies got into the rodeo during the Barrel Racing and by doing some really great trick riding.
But the greatest event of the day, in my opinion, belonged to the men who participated in Wild Horse Racing.
Those guys are nuts.
Don’t believe me? Check out this video I took and see for yourself. Take special note of the .18 second mark and watch as a cowboy gets kicked in the chest by an irritated wild horse.
Our list today is all about Wild Horse Racing. Here is what you need to know.
1. The premise behind Wild Horse Racing is this. Catch a wild horse, saddle it and ride it over the finish line. Fastest time takes home the $. Easy huh?
2. The contestants compete in teams of 3 guys. On occasion Ladies will compete in the event but they are generally too smart to get beaten up by a horse.
3. The shankman in the Wild Horse Race grabs and holds on to the lead-line attached to the horse’s halter so the mugger can get a hold on the horse’s neck.
4. The mugger is the cowboy that gets a firm hold on the horse’s neck during the Wild Horse Race. This allows the rider to put the saddle on the horse.
5. Once the rider has saddled the horse, he must mount and ride the unbroken horse past the judges to the finish line.
6. The task of saddling and riding the horse over the finish line must be completed in 90 seconds.
7. The winners are the Professional Rodeo we attended took home $1000 plus three shinny buckles. It also cost $100 to enter. I guess they are not in it for the money.
What is your favorite Rodeo Event?