Last weekend, our dog, Niki, celebrated her 15th birthday.
Using the old saying of 7 dog years for each human year, that would make her 105 years old.
Age has taken its toll on our little Bichon Frise cross dog. She has cataracts. She can only hear high whistles. Her hind legs are weak and unstable. She has an enlarged heart with leaky valves.
I remember the day we got her when she ran up to me and licked my hand saying “Take me home!”. She bonded instantly with us.
Niki became part of our family.
At the time I hoped that she would live at least 10 years. Now, at 15 years, she has outlived the median age of dogs at 10-13 years.
The breed that has the shortest average lifespan of only 5.2 years is the Dogue de Bordeaux. Toy Poodles live the longest with an average lifespan of 14.5 years.
Dogs have been known to live into their 20’s. I am not sure that my dog will live that long, but I will enjoy every day with her.
Here is a list of the oldest 7 dogs on record:
1. Bluey – 29 years, 160 days – Australian Cattle Dog
2. Bella – 28 years, 252 days – Labrador
3. Teddy – 28 years, 218 days – Poodle
4. Max – 27 years,328 days – Terrier *** STILL LIVING
5. Bramble – 27 years,211 days – Border Collie
6. Adjutant – 27 years,98 days – Labrador
7. Butch – 27 years,1 day – Beagle