Living in Alberta, we are blessed to in the shadow of the majestic Rocky Mountains.
Trips to the mountains are a regular part of our annual vacations. This year is no different. Our planned holidays in the mountains almost always includes a trip to Banff, Alberta.
Based on my experience, here is a list of 7 Fun Things to do in Banff.
1. Banff Gondola – The view from the top of Sulphur Mountain is breath-taking. Make sure to take the 1000 meter hike to the abandoned weather station at the summit. If you have an extra 3 hours, consider hiking up the mountain rather than using the Gondola.
2. Shopping – My wife wanted to add this to the list, but the truth is there store for everybody there. A family favourite is the Christmas Store.
3. Bow Falls – These roaring waterfalls make for an excellent photo opportunity.
4. Cave and Basin – This paved walking path is great for parents with young kids. It tells of the origins of the Hot Springs. You also have opportunity to see the Banff Springs Snail; a fresh water snail that is one of Canada’s “Species at Risk”.
5. Tunnel Mountain – This mountain is really more of a hill when it is compared to the mountains around it. I recommend bringing a picnic lunch up with you on this hike. You eat it at the summit while you have an awesome view of the town of Banff.
6. Banff Hot Springs – These natural spring waters are a refreshing place to soak after a long day on your feet.
7. People Watching – People from all over the world come to Banff to experience things that I take for granted. Strike up a conversation with somebody and make a new friend.